Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Stubbs and Denai

It's no secret that Alaska got under my skin. Before I even set foot in the state I knew I loved it. Spending my summers up there as an undergrad sealed the deal, I was in love with the state. I spent those summers outside of Trapper Creek and Talkeetna. Talkeetna is one of those towns that is just so different you have to go there to really understand how special it is. Talkeetna has a cat as a mayor and his name is Stubbs. I ran into him on one of his patrols and snapped these photos. 


He also happens to be in the Wall Street Journal today! The Mayor is recovering from a dog attack that put him in the vet hospital. I'm glad to see he is back at the store and up on his feet. Stubbs is much loved, and even has his own wikipedia page and you can also follow him on facebook! This weekend Stubb's twitter followed me back, and I have to say I have never been more excited for a follow back. 

I am also reading a book written by a wonderful Talkeetna/Trapper resident Mary Carey. I picked it up when I stopped at her place (Mary's McKinley View Lodge) for lunch on one of my Fairbanks to Anchorage drives a few years ago. It went to my Mom first and I am just now getting around to reading it. I figured while I have Talkeetna on the brain, and am missing it so much I would share two of my favorite photos of the amazing Denali. Its been far too long since I have had a Roundhouse breakfast and then wondered down to the river. Talkeetna I miss you. 

Denali from Denali Viewpoint South (Denali State Park) Denali is generally photographed from the north, but I prefer the southern view. 

How could you not fall in love with Alaska if this was your view on your walk to work!?

No comments: