One of the reasons I love geology is how much everything you learn in class opens your eyes to the world around you. For the most part I feel, (and I know I am bias) that geology is the science that absolutely gives you an understanding of what happens around you. I know physics and chemistry and biology do too, but most of what surrounds us is rocks and dirt: the realm of geology.
There is always something new to learn as well, as was evident today, I learned new things about the mechanisms of plate tectonics. The challenge I find in science is taking the ideas learned in the class room and talking to other none geologist. In my favorite radio show they talk constantly about the importance of taking the ideas from the scientist with their jargon and bring it to everyone else. This is sort of how I see this blog evolving, into a space where I can practice the art of communicating these ideas to everyone else. Please let me know if there is anything that is confusing I would love to try and make it not confusing.
Being in grad school I feel that I getting an education in how to communicate with my fellow geologist and scientist but there is a lack of practice in communicating the same ideas with everyone else. Everyone should be able to understand the world around them. So that’s what I am going to do! Also every once in a while there are some fun little things you can do at home to show how things work and I will make sure to pass these on.
No comments:
Post a Comment