Ecuador? Hawaii?
there are 2 field volcanology classes I could take... one is 3 weeks one (Ecuador) is a month and a half (Hawaii) ...
Graduate-level Volcano Geophysics Field Course in Ecuador
3-week intensive geophysics field course focused on multi-disciplinary volcano geophysics and digital signal processing. The course will entail hands-on deployment of broadband seismometers, infrasound sensors, and tilt meters at one or more actively erupting volcanoes in Ecuador followed by data collection, processing, and analysis of the data. Classroom instruction will focus on time series analysis, signal processing, source localization, seismic array analyses, and integrated geophysical data analysis techniques. Intra-course field trips in physical volcanology are planned for Reventador, Cotopaxi, Guagua Pichincha, and Tungurahua Volcanoes as well as observatories in Quito and at Tungurahua. Approximately 50% of the course will be spent in the classroom and 50% in the field.
and
International Training in Volcano Hazard Management
The Center for the Study of Active Volcanoes announces its annual
*International Training Course in Volcano Hazards Monitoring* to be
held on the Island of Hawaii from May 25 through July 3, 2009. The
course is offered in cooperation with the US Geological Survey
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and is intended for technicians and
professionals who are currently working, or who will work, in the
field of volcano hazards assessment, monitoring, and
management/response. Both classroom instruction and field training
will be provided in five modules: Physical Volcanology; Volcano
Seismology; Ground Deformation Monitoring; Geochemistry of Thermal
Discharges; and Civil Defense and Hazard Management.
Right now I am leaning toward the Ecuador one, if I can get in, because it would give me more time to do field work here, and its more focused on the geophysics or at least it looks like it... I might apply to both and see if I get in!
3 comments:
Hello Anna,
I'm a french PhD sudent working in seismo/volcanology. I came across your webpage and I'd like to know if you have more information on the Ecuador summer fieldtrip? I tried to look for it on the internet but can't find any information. Who organizes it and do you know if it's only for US students?
Thanks a lot...
agathe
I decided not to do a field class this summer due to field work... The only information I have about that class is the email I got through my school. If you want I can try and dig that up if you don't already have that information.
ok. if you can find it easily, could you please forward it to my email adress agathe.schmid@gmail.com Otherwise never mind!
Post a Comment