Friday, October 1, 2010

geology vs. geophysics.

I don't get it.
Why isn't a geophysicist a geologist like a geochemist is a geologist?

I just don't get it. Here I was thinking geophysics was a tool to look at geology and we are therefore all geologist. Turns out its a bad thing to say you consider yourself a geologist when you are a geophysics student in a room of other geophysics students....

2 comments:

Aurelian Roeser said...

I think you don't do justice to geophysics if you say it's just a tool to look at geology. You could just as well say that geology is a tool to look at physics. Hence, many geophysicists see themselves either as geoscientiests (which we all are) or as physisicts focussing on the physics of planet Earth.

If you see geology in the big frame, you might say that we all are geologists but I definetely prefer the term geoscientist...or geophysicist of course.

Helena Mallonee said...

I second your confusion. It doesn't help that, every time I turn around, I hear various geologic subfields grouped under a different name.