I was there for work so I got up early the last morning and took a nice long walk before starting the work day.
To get you oriented I took my walk around the summit at Kilauea. You are looking for the blue in these figures. I started at Volcano House (which is currently closed but I hear it will be opening back up!) and walked south along the rim towards Kilauea Iki. See the figure below for my path!
I started at the Volcano House near the Kilauea Visitor Center and headed south along the earthquake trail (on the closed and eroding crater rim drive) to Waldrons Ledge and the overlook there.
This is the view from Waldrons Ledge (I had some fun with the post processing)
This is the old parking lot at Waldrons Ledge overlook
Part of the trail along the old road
According to the sign this trail called the "earthquake trail" starts along a broken section of Crater Rim Drive that was damaged by a magnitude 6.6 earthquake in 1983. I really enjoyed this section just simply due to the different view into the crater. I go over to the Jagger Museum every time I go into the park and while that view into the crater is amazing... it was nice to see it from a different angle.
I turned around shortly after the overlook and headed towards the Jagger museum (I had a meeting at HVO). On the way back, close to the closed Volcano House I came across a nice spot to sit. This spot gave a lovely view of the steam bluffs and the crater rim trail over to the museum.
Mauna Loa was also out, gracefully reaching to the sky.
Here is another shot of the plume.
Next I walked along the crater rim along the sulfur banks trail. I was distracted by the beautiful morning light and plants around me, and walked through my first steam plume and was instantly confused... WHY IS IT WARM!? WHAT SMELLS FUNNY! It only take me a second to realize where I was a laugh at myself.
one of the vents
Looking along the trail towards the museum and HVO
Another stop and another view of the plume
getting close! This area of the trail if you keep your eyes out you can see very fine strands of Pele's hair!
THE HVO!
It really was beyond perfect weather! Mauna Kea was even out!
I made my coworker take this photo of me and yes.... I am wearing a lava lamp volcano shirt!
You can buy the shirt here
I always feel like these posts just turn into a string of photos near the end, but I hope you enjoyed it! I really enjoyed the walk along Waldrons Ledge and next time I want to keep going that direction! Also the walk along the crater is always amazing. There is a lot to do in the park and as I discover new nooks and crannies I will be sure to share!



1 comment:
I don't usually type this, but: Lava lamp tee-shirt - LOL.
I hope that I can get to Hawaii one day!
Post a Comment